Thursday, September 04, 2008

This year it was my turn to plan our anniversary celebrations. Plan A (not to be disclosed so I can use it next time!) was not possible as it was a weekday and we weren't able to take the day off. So I had to settle for Plan B instead.

Promptly after the clock struck 12 at midnight, I presented R with an invitation to dinner...

... reminiscent of our church wedding invitations... hee!

And he (of course) accepted it. :)

Dinner was at Si Bon, at the Amara Sanctuary Resort. They had converted an old chapel into a 20 seater restaurant. And being a weekday, we actually got the entire place to ourselves!

Si Bon serves up sushi and kushikatsu - yummy morsels coated in thin light batter and deep fried! This was rather novel for us, and I was worried we'd still be hungry after the dinner as each skewered piece looked really small. But by the end of the 8 fried items and 9 sushi items... we were stuffed. Didn't have time to take a picture of every course, but the most memorable was fried cuttlefish, topped with fresh uni that was unbelievable sweet, and wagyu beef topped with crushed pepper berries.

An entire meal of deep fried items sounded a little too much for me, especially when both of us were still recovering from a bad bout of flu, so we had opted for a mixture of kushikatsu and sushi. We needn't have worried though, because the batter was amazingly crisp and light, and we never at any point felt that it was too oily or too rich. Anyhow, the sushi was very fresh and possibly one of the best we've had, save for the ones at Tsukiji, and I got my fill of my favourite otoro... slurp! So no regrets on the choice of menu.

Now looking forward to more culinary adventures in California!

2 comments:

mini said...

the invitations r a lovely idea! :) and you are making me crave japanese food mmmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

Love the invitation card! Ah..I love (almost) everything deep fried.... :-P